Sunday 8 June 2014

Gerund or Infinitive?

You are going to practise some verbs which are followed by another verb in gerund or infinitive.





1) Discuss
Look at these verbs.
Are they followed by a gerund or infinitive?






2) Speak
Look at the list of verbs in the presentation and make sentences using a gerund or an infinitive after each verb.
Example - I can't stand driving in the city.







3) Practise
Do the exercise




4) Write
Write some sentences using the verbs above which are true for you.
Example - I detest eating prunes.
I'm just a poor EFL teacher. I can't afford to buy new shoes.






5) Practise
Here are 5 songs with gerunds and infinitives in the titles.
How many do you know? Can you think of any more songs with a gerund or an infinitive in the title?

I Promise To Try




I Can't Stand Losing You




Imagine (having no possesions...)




Learn to Fly




I Want To Break Free







More





6 comments:

  1. I think it´s o.k. but u should explain the exersises better. It´s pretty hard to find out what u want in for example nb. 1. Maybe u coul translate the webside to other langueges.
    have a good day Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David,
    I have nominated your blog for the Liebster Awards :) Here is the link: http://eltfunatics.wordpress.com/2014/06/22/liebster-award-nominee/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dave,

    Just to let you know that we’ve shortlisted this blog post for this month’s TeachingEnglish blog award and I’ll be making a post about it on today’s TeachingEnglish Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/TeachingEnglish.BritishCouncil, if you’d like to check there for likes and comments.

    Best,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Ann. Pleased to be nominated. I'm very glad people find it useful.

      Delete